Tuesday 5 April 2011

Plum Jam....and counting

Last night turned into a jam frenzy in the Framboise houeshold. After an intial dummy run last week where I created  Manchester's (finest) strawberry jam (to great fanfare & much aplomb - mostly on my part it must be said), I decided to push the sauce boat out a little further & try recipes 2 + 3 in my jam recipe book.

Plum jam (again with a dash of my magic ingredient) and then a cheekly small quantity of Mixed Berry jam (strawbs, blueberries, blackberries) were on the hob, this time simultaneously following my husband's suggestion that we might need to cooker back at some point, sans jam, to cook our supper. It was thus his suggestion to make them together which sounded like a good idea except when I then realised I need to pot 2 lots of jam simultaneously with only one jam funnel & that I needed to reweigh out 2 different quantities of warmed sugar as I had warmed it all up together.

It was an exercise in speedy & frenetic stirring co-ordination that appears, at first glance to have come off. Left had stirring large pan of Plum, right hand stirring small pan of Mixed Berry.

I haven't dared open a jar of either yet to see if the setting point was in fact reached (I was a little blase at this point) but they did both taste nice & I did the plate taste....so it might come good?!

As for quantities, my abilty to forecast yield is clearly poor. Far too much plum jam, but only a reserve quantity of Mixed Berry jam, so Plum Jam it is for presents for a while. And now I need to order more jars (much to my husband's chagrin) because I'm loathed to throw any excess away.

Anyway, for my third and final flourish next week I am planning Rhubarb and Vanilla jam which I plan to use in a fresh victoria sponge cake (with cream filling) for my sister in law (a present to say thank you for loaning me something of hers).

So this week I am sending my husband off to buy the raw ingredients so hopefully soon I can blog successfully that I have three times of jam mastered!

Here's hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment